Pieter van Boheemen
- Head of programme
Pieter is a hacker, artist, engineer, researcher and teacher driving forward Free & Open Source Technologies as a catalyzer for social innovation. Until October 1st, 2017 he was leading the Open Wetlab, Open Design Lab and Fablab Amsterdam at Waag. He is an expert in biological technologies, an award winning entrepreneur and world recognized speaker on Biohacking and DIY Bio.
He organized dozens of hands-on art science “Do It Together Bio” workshops, founded and led more than 150 Dutch DIYBio community events, runned the micro-organism store Pet Shop, and presented a YouTube channel on making and hacking things. The outcomes have been displayed at major international art, design and science museums and festivals.
He coordinated several European research projects within his group at Waag and participated in KIICS, MakingSense, BrainHack and DITOs. After his period at Waag he went to work for the Dutch Rathenau Institute.
- We makeBioHack Academy03-10-2017In a world where science is most often practiced in isolated labs, gaining access to the primary tools is of great importance to many independent…
- We makeOpen Wetlab21-02-2017A new week, a new episode of #OPENBIOTECH! In this one I’m showing you how to get in jail as a biohacker. Yep, that’s right.
- We makeOpen Wetlab15-02-2017Our new weekly YouTube series on an EU policy paper about Do-It-Yourself Bio will cover the entire process for you.
- We makeOpen Wetlab30-01-2017Has it occurred to you that the far right of the political spectrum often uses the same rhetoric as the Do It Yourself movement?
- We makeOpen Wetlab28-10-2016At the Cutting Edge festival last week in Oslo, Pieter van Boheemen witnessed yet another debate on the future of genetic engineering. Unfortunately…
- We makeOpen Wetlab07-07-2016Over the last four years, the Dutch Do It Yourself Biology (DIY Bio) community has continued to incubate and grow within the walls of Waag's Open…