Fairphone’s mission is to bring a fair smartphone to the market – one made entirely of parts produced and utilised without harming individuals or the environment. Fairphone as a social enterprise evolved from an open design project started at Waag in 2010.
In 2013, Fairphone launched a movement for fairer electronics. By making a phone, Fairphone opened up the supply chain and created new relationships between people and their products. Fairphone is making a positive impact across the value chain in mining, design, manufacturing and life cycle, while expanding the market for products that put ethical values first. Together with their community, they are changing the way products are made.
History of Fairphone
- Started as an awareness campaign about conflict minerals at Waag in 2010
- Became an independent company in 2013
- Amsterdam-based on the river IJ
- 100,000+ Fairphone owners
- 50+ employees from 25 countries speaking 17 different languages
- 250,000 community members on Facebook, Twitter and the Fairphone forum combined
More information about Fairphone can be found at the website of Fairphone, fairphone.com.