Are you interested in open and accessible biology? Are you intrigued by the prospect of using techniques and knowledge from the life sciences in a do-it-yourself context? Would you like to learn more about the Open Wetlab? Waag is looking for a hands-on intern to support the Open Wetlab and BioHack Academy. Moreover, we provide you with tools, space and support to develop your own creative biotech project.
What is the BioHack Academy?
The BioHack Academy is a 10-week intensive course in which participants design, build and use laboratory equipment, learn laboratory skills, work with biological materials and processes, and develop personal projects.
As intern you help the academy’s participants using the lab, with laboratory techniques, hands-on workshops, as well as keeping an eye on laboratory safety.
The Open Wetlab is the Waag’s biotechnology laboratory, focusing on opening up biotechnology by sharing laboratory protocols and micro-organisms. It holds a collection of organisms ranging from algae to mycelia to bacteria, as well as the nutrients and equipment to grow these. Besides growing living things, the Open Wetlab has the equipment to do molecular biology research.
What do we offer:
We will guide you through the Open Wetlab and empower you how to use it. You will have access to the adjoining Fab Lab during working hours and a mentor throughout your internship. You will get an inside view of the BioHack Academy and Open Wetlab, and learn about open source hardware, sharing, and tinkering.
- Hands-on experience in a laboratory
- Background in life sciences
- Interested in documenting and sharing experimental protocols
- Interested in learning to grow and work with various organisms
- Interested in creative experiments and prototyping, and helping others with their ideas
- Able to work independently in a dynamic and creative environment as well as in a bigger team
What do we ask from you:
- Assist during the BioHack Academy
- Help in preparing and testing experiments
- Grow the organism collection in the Open Wetlab
- Contribute to a safe and pleasant work environment
- Assist with cleaning, maintaining and improving the lab
- Contribute to open source documentation
An internship where you can learn a lot in a short time and where you can work in a young, dynamic and flexible work environment. You have a lot of responsibility and there is plenty of room for your own initiative and creativity. The fee for this internship is € 300, - per month on the basis of 40 hours per week. The preferred period is November 2018 to April 2019. This includes the BioHack Academy, which runs January - April 2019, as well as the preparation period.
Waag develops creative technology for social innovation. We do research, develop concepts, pilots and prototypes and act as an intermediary between the arts, science and the media. We work a lot with parties in the cultural, public and private sectors.
Are the above properties applicable to you and do you like to gain experience at Waag? Respond by emailing your motivation and resume as pdf to the HR department. For questions regarding this vacancy you can send our Biohack team an email.