Fab Academy 2020
The Fab Academy edition of 2020 will start in January 2020. Fablab Amsterdam will be one of the nodes in the Fablab network offering the course. Applications for 2020 cycle will start in September 2019.
All information about the academy can be found at: fabacademy.org.
What is the Fab Academy?
The Fab Academy teaches principles and applications of digital fabrication. It was developed to teach hands-on skills in fab labs, which began as an outreach project from MIT’s Center for Bits and Atoms, and has grown into a global network of more than 500 labs. Fab Academy instruction is based on MIT’s popular rapid-prototyping course How To Make (almost) Anything, both taught by Prof. Neil Gershenfeld.
What do you learn
At the Fab Academy, you learn how to envision, prototype and document your ideas through many hours of hands-on experience with digital fabrication tools, taking a variety of code formats and turning them into physical objects. List of certificates:
1. digital fabrication principles and practices – 1 week
2. computer-aided design, manufacturing, and modeling – 1 week
3. computer-controlled cutting – 1 week
4. electronics design and production – 2 weeks
5. computer-controlled machining – 1 week
6. embedded programming – 1 week
7. 3D molding and casting – 1 week
8. collaborative technical development and project management – 1 week
9. 3D scanning and printing – 1 week
10. sensors, actuators, and displays – 2 weeks
11. interface and application programming – 1 week
12. embedded networking and communications – 1 week
13. machine design – 2 weeks
14. digital fabrication applications and implications – 1 week
15. invention, intellectual property, and business models – 1 week
16. digital fabrication project development – 2 weeks
Fab Academy at Fablab Amsterdam
Fablab Amsterdam is part of Waag. Fablab Amsterdam is one of the first Fablabs that hosted the Fab Academy when it was still a pilot in 2008. You can look at the online pages to check what our students made during their experiences.
To guarantee a complete and professional support to our students and a full accessibility to tools and machines, the number of available spots is limited and the course will be held only if the minimum number of students is reached.
How it works
During the Fab Academy programme global lectures are broadcasted every Wednesday. At Fablab Amsterdam we meet every Wednesdays to review the local weekly assignments and follow the global lecture together. The Thursday’s are dedicated to the local classes of which the topic varies per week. Other days of the week students have access to the Fablab machines, tools and support based.
Requirements and commitment
Students with all types of backgrounds attended the programme in Fablab Amsterdam. Artists, high school graduate students, teachers, engineers, computer scientists, professionals, fablab managers and designers followed the program. As a student, it is important to be motivated and self-directed learners. Read about the programme requirements here.
The deadline for Applications to Fab Academy 2020 is December 15th 2019.
Learn more about Fab Academy:
Please note that the start date of the course is tentative. Students will be informed as soon as possible in January 2020.