Bas van Abel
- Founder Fairphone
Bas is founder and member of the supervisory board of Fairphone.
Before working at Fairphone, he was Creative Director at Waag and was head of the Open Design Lab.
As an active member of the international maker movement and digital fabrication community, he was passionate about developing a wide variety of projects based on open design principles. He initiated such projects as the community fabrication laboratory Fablab in Amsterdam, the open-source 'Instructables Restaurant', and the world’s first fair mobile phone, Fairphone.
With a background in interaction design and a personal interest in electronics, Bas has worked on many projects at Waag both as a designer and technical engineer. He is co-editor of the book Open Design Now, which seeks to transform design into an open and shared discipline that creates a diversity of innovative products through a collaborative and world-spanning process.
- WaagProducts25-09-2017Fairphone secured investments totaling € 6,5 million from pioneering impact investors who share and strongly believe in the values of the company.
- WaagProducts22-01-2013Fairphone is proud to announce its participation in the Solutions for Hope project.
- WaagInterface23-11-2012Designbooks: Vogue and experts name their all time favourites. Bas van Abel, creative director of Waag, advises Next Nature.
- WaagInterface18-05-2012Belgrade has been burned down 19 times in history, including the recent bombings 13 years ago. It is a city, which has been rebuilt and reused over…
- We makeOpen Design Lab07-05-2012On 4 May I gave a keynote at re:publica 2012 in Berlin (co-incidentally on the same time as Neelie Kroes) about Open Design and local (digital)…