📷 iFixit ()
The folks at iFixit were first in line in Melbourne to directly disassemble the new iPad after it went on sale. They gave it a 'Repairability Score' of 2 on a scale of 1-10. These are their conclusions:
- Just like its predecessor, the new iPad is very difficult to disassemble.
- Adhesive secures the glass to the case, making common repairs and battery replacement difficult.
- Apple is estimated to ship 1 million units on launch day, and the environmental impact of this unfortunate design choice will be significant.
- We've written extensively about the problems with Apple's difficult-to-repair iPad design over on iFixit.org:
- Ever Broken a Textbook Beyond Repair? Now, with iBooks, You Can!
- Yes, the iPad is Repairable—But Just Barely.