- Lab lead FabLab
Henk Buursen is lab lead of Waag's FabLab and instructor of FabAcademy. Next to this, he is head of system administrations, a position he has filled since the year 2000, when he started working at Waag.
Henk manages the FabLab in the historical building in the center of Amsterdam, de Waag. Here, he also educates tens of participants per year in working with digital fabrication and making 'almost anything' in the worldwide distributed learning-programme Fab Academy.
A Fab Lab is a workplace that offers access to a number of computer-controlled prototyping machines, where users can convert their ideas into tangible products. In this way technology is democratized in order to serve as a place for experimental innovation for a broad target group.
The concept of Fab Lab was developed by Neil Gershenfeld from MIT, and is an abbreviation of Fabrication Laboratory. Since their founding, Fab Labs have developed into a global network of standardised open hardware setups. FabLab Amsterdam is situated on the first floor of the Waag monument in Amsterdam. It was the first FabLab in the Netherlands, and is currently the only place in the Netherlands where Fab Academy can be attended.
- makeOpen Design Lab28-08-2019A nice article by Tessel Renzenbrink in Elektor Magazine clearly captures the essence of the Fab Academy. Now downloadable as pdf!
- lifeFuture Internet Lab24-08-2015With technology that is just a few months on the market, it is possible to build an internet network for things without 3G or WiFi. It reaches way…
- makeFabLab05-06-2015An interesting video conversation with Neil Gershenfeld, founder of the FabLab, physicist and the Director of MIT's Center for Bits and Atoms. He is…
- codeFuture Internet Lab11-01-2015Aaron Swartz died two years ago, on January 11, 2013. Time to remember him through the documentary 'The Internet's own boy'. The film follows the…
- codeFuture Internet Lab06-11-2014After just one day already 15% of the crowdfunding target at Indiegogo had been reached: the Mooltipass, an open-source offline password database.
- codeFuture Internet Lab05-06-2014June 5, 2014 is declared 'Reset the Net' day. Therefore I would like to recommend you to read or listen to this contribution by Smári McCarthy.