Waag's public research is accommodated in its research labs. A lab is a group of researchers, designers and developers organised around a research theme - related to relevant societal development.
- codeThe Commons Lab researches and promotes the commons: shared resources, managed by a community.
- makeThe Fablab (Fabrication Laboratory) at Waag offers instruments and machines for digital fabrication, and an international education trajectory.
- learnThe Future Heritage Lab focuses on heritage as an entity that is in constant flux, its place in contemporary debates, and the role of technology.
- codeThe Future Internet Lab questions the power of big tech and researches alternatives.
- learnThe Maker Education Lab focuses on contemporary and new forms of learning. Maker education enables people to learn by doing.
- makeThe Open Wetlab researches biotechnologies and their impact on ecology and society. A leading place for bio-art, biodesign and do-it-together biology.
- lifeThe Smart Citizens Lab helps citizens appropriate the internet of things to map out and improve their living environments.
- makeThe TextileLab bridges the gap between textiles and technology and brings innovation to the slowly changing fashion industry.